Brought to you by
It is that time of year again- the days are shorter; the air is brisk, and Christmas is right around the corner. There is no better Christmas gift for a coffee lover than some coffee and brewing supplies, but where do you begin? Here is the Round Mountain Coffee 2022 recommended buyer’s guide for the coffee enthusiasts.
$ – cheap option
$$ – moderate price
$$$ – expensive price
I recommend that every new coffee enthusiast invests in a grinder. A good grinder is the best way to start dialing in the perfect home brewed coffee. Grinding coffee right before you brew is going to produce the best flavor. The best coffee grinders to use are burr grinders, which allow your coffee grinds to be even. Even grinds equal an even extraction, which in theory equals better flavor.
Breville Smart Grinder Pro
The Breville Smart Grinder Pro is an all around grinder. It can produce coffee grind size for espresso (extra fine) all the way to pour overs. The machine is super consistent with its particle size.
- Best for an espresso machine user and a pour-over fanatic.
- Small footprint, super easy to clean, and very durable.
Fellow Ode Grinder
It does not grind espresso very well with the stock burrs, but is great for pour-over coffee or batch brew coffee. If you get the gen2 grinder, it fixes most of the espresso problems.
- Perfect to upgrade to.
- Easy to clean, consistent, small footprint, and durable machine.
- Sleek clean design.
OXO conical burr grinder
An electronic burr grinder. Consistent coffee grinder. Best for French press and pour-overs.
Easy to clean.
Small footprint, quiet for morning grinds,
BONUS: Hand Grinder (perfect for camping)
Porlex Mini Stainless Steel Coffee Grinder
Ceramic conical burrs with wide range can grind from pour over grind to French press grind.
- Easy to travel with.
- Perfect for personal use.
Brewing coffee on a batch coffee brewer is still the most popular way to brew coffee at home. Not all brewers are the same though and when looking for one, I recommend the following.
The Breville Precision Brewer
If you are looking for a brewer with the best automatic standards, check out the Breville brewers.
- Has a Gold Cup setting that holds the highest standard for coffee brewers.
- Recommend getting the thermal coffee carafe. Keeps your coffee hotter for longer and not nearly as breakable as the glass carafe.
- Great way to up your coffee game for the entire family. Best for experienced coffee people.
Bonavita 8-Cup One-Touch Coffee Maker
- Great new home maker.
- Simplicity at its best.
- Perfect for the brew on the go people.
Ninja Specialty Fold-Away Frother
This machine has it all.
- 1 to 8 cup coffee brewer.
- Milk Frother to make warm milk on top of your coffee.
- Precision brew head.
- My number one pick when it comes to brewers.
Slow brew is the best way to make a delicious cup of coffee. When looking for slow brew methods, I recommend stopping by RMC and talking to the baristas about the different brew methods we use. Each of us has our favorite type of slow brew method and we all love to demonstrate and talk about each of those brew methods. Not to mention we sell everything you need to get started on brew methods at RMC.
This is my favorite brewing method. There is a learning curve with the Hario V60, but once you perfect it, there’s no going back. This method is great for sharing with a friend since it brews 2-4 cups. Pick one up in the shop today!
Chemex is quite possibly the most well known slow brew method. Though it is on the pricier side, the Chemex yields a great 3-6 cups of coffee. Pick one up in the shop!
This is one of the most common slow brew methods. We think this is great for families and friends since it brews about 4-6 cups at a time. Read all about our French press and how to use one here (hyperlink this: ).
Click here to see the best thermal French press for price.
The AeroPress is the perfect coffee equipment for campers and produces a great single cup of coffee. This tool is lightweight and durable.
If you are brewing espresso or slow brews, a scale can be your best friend. When brewing coffee, it is also important to talk about ratios. When we talk about the term “ratio” in the shop, we are referring to the amount of water to coffee you use. This determines the strength and consistency of your brew. I found that these three scales are the best when perfecting the perfect slow brew coffee:
Acaia Pearl Model S Professional
Master the art of brewing with the Acaia scale. Monitors brew weight, time, and flow rate of pours.
- Connects bluetooth to your phone and the Acaia app to monitor and save your brew methods.
- Able to generate a brew profile to follow on the scale.
- Water resistant and durable.
This scale is specifically designed for the coffee enthusiasts of the world.
Timemore Coffee Scale
- Simple and inexpensive scale.
- Keeps track of time and weight.
I struggle with the auto tare feature but it doesn’t matter most of time.
I love brewing coffee with gooseneck kettles. They allow me to have control of my stream of water, which allows me to control the turbulence of my slurry while brewing. Any gooseneck kettle should work great when brewing, so don’t feel like you have to have the most fancy looking kettle. Having a kettle that holds its temperature allows your brew method to be even more consistent. Here are my favorite kettles on the market.
Bonavita Gooseneck Kettle
- Can hold temperature in increments between 140˚-212˚F.
- A count-up timer makes it easy to keep track of the brewing process.
- Gooseneck spout for precise pour control.
Fellow Stag Kettle EKG+
- Can hold temperature in increments between 104˚-212˚F.
- Able to bluetooth to your ACAIA scale to match temperature with brewing method.
- Sleek design with a non drip gooseneck spout.
- Balanced handle to keep a steady pour.
- Variety of styles and performance to meet anyone’s needs.
Wrapping it up
I hope that this gift guide will help you when picking up a new piece of coffee equipment this holiday season. If you have a cool piece of equipment that you wish to share with us at RMC, just let us know and we will give it a try and give you our honest feedback. At the very least, fresh roasted coffee would be a great gift for the holidays or even an RMC gift card. Pick them up in store or online at https://round-mountain-coffee.square.site/whole-bean
Good luck shopping!
Scott Forbush, Co-Owner and Operational Manager at RMC
Brought to you by
Guest article posts